Languages, Contact Info + Applications
The following is important information about the language to which you will apply. Please scroll down to view languages by undergraduate and graduate offerings.
Unless otherwise indicated, all undergraduate and graduate applicants must be at the INTERMEDIATE-level or higher in the language of application.
Contact: Stacey Sewall
Arabic (N. Africa career/research focus), Kiswahili, Lingala, Wolof, Other Sub-Saharan African languages
- Funding for academic year study of other Sub-Saharan African languages is not available.
Contact: Mary Lagdameo
Arabic (Asia career/research focus), Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Urdu (Asia career/research focus), Other Asian languages
- Funding for academic year study of other Asian languages is not available.
Contact: Katie Shanahan Lindner
Arabic (European career/research focus), Basque, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (BCS), Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French, Galician, German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Turkish (European career/research focus)
- Funding for summer fellowships in other contemporary European language may be approved on a case by case basis
- Funding for undergraduate study of French, German and Spanish is not available.
Latin America & Caribbean
Contact: Beatriz Riefkohl Muñiz
Haitian Creole, Portuguese (Brazilian), Yucatec Maya, Other Latin American languages
- Non-UNC transcripts must be submitted as official hard copies
- For Yucatec Maya: Applicants for level 3 must submit a 1-page proposal in Maya; Non-UNC transcripts must be submitted as official hard copies
- Funding for academic year undergraduate study of Haitian Creole is not available.