Contact: Ada Umenwaliri
Contact: Dr. Kevin Fogg
Contact: Katie Lindner
Latin America & Caribbean
Contact: Beatriz Riefkohl Muñiz
FLAS Application Technical Assistance
Contact: Dr. Fogg
- Applicant Contact Information
- Information for two references
- Statement of purpose
- Language evaluation form
- Regionally Related Language (Graduate Students Only: If you are applying to study at the beginning level, please indicate your proficiency level in another language of the world region you are studying.)
Please review the following detailed instructions:
- All applicants should review the comprehensive information available on this site AND consult with their FLAS Coordinator PRIOR to starting an application.
- Consult the FLAS@UNC page to determine the most appropriate center. Questions about eligibility or the program should be directed to the most appropriate FLAS coordinator(s).
- Applicants must have their skills evaluated by a language instructor if they have any prior experience in the language of application. 1) Please download and complete the FLAS Language Evaluation Form 2. Complete the evaluation form 3. Upload the form via the application system. A former language instructor is recommended to complete the evaluation. If this is not possible, a UNC faculty member who teaches the language would be qualified to conduct the evaluation.
- Applicants must submit a complete FLAS Application Form by 11:59 p.m. EST, February 2, 2024. Evaluations, transcripts and other required documents are all due by the deadline. You are responsible for ensuring the submission of evaluation form and recommendation letters. Any late submissions may result in disqualification. Note: Some specific programs for study in Latin America may accept applications after the deadline, please consult the sidebar for contact information.
- Please list your recommenders via the application system. They will receive an email from Terradotta with instructions on completing this step. Recommendations are due February 2, 2024.
- Applications are reviewed by the appropriate center and notifications will be sent to the email used to register for the online application system, typically within six weeks of the deadline.
- FLAS committees review all proposals and rank them using a weighted scale that considers academic merit, demonstrated financial need, and the extent to which the proposed study or use of the language matches Title VI priorities.
All questions about the program and your application status should be directed to the most appropriate FLAS coordinator(s).
Please note: Once you have started an application, do not click “apply” to return to that application.
You should login directly to Heels Abroad to access your existing application.
For technical issues with the online application, please email only Dr. Fogg, email@example.com