Languages, Contact Info + Applications
The following is important information about the language to which you will apply. Please scroll down to view languages by undergraduate and graduate offerings.
Unless otherwise indicated, all undergraduate and graduate applicants must be at the INTERMEDIATE-level or higher in the language of application.
Contact: Stacey Sewall
Arabic (N. Africa career/research focus), Kiswahili, Lingala, Wolof, Other Sub-Saharan African languages
- Funding for academic year study of other Sub-Saharan African languages is not available.
Contact: Mary Lagdameo
Arabic (Asia career/research focus), Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Urdu (Asia career/research focus), Other Asian languages
- Funding for academic year study of other Asian languages is not available.
East Europe & Eurasia
Contact: Adnan Džumhur
Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian, Polish, Russian, Other East European and Central Asian languages
- Funding for academic year study of other East European and Central Asian languages is not available.
Contact: Noel Bynum
Arabic (European diaspora career/research focus), Albanian, Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian, Bulgarian, Dutch, French, German, Greek (Modern), Italian, Portuguese (Iberian), Romanian, Spanish (European career/research focus), Turkish (European career/research focus), Other Western European languages
- Funding for undergraduate study of French, German and Spanish is not available.
- Funding for graduate study of German is offered at intermediate level or higher
Contact: Iyman Gaspard
Arabic, Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian, Hindi-Urdu, Polish, Russian, Languages not listed or otherwise covered by a center
- Please contact before starting application in an unlisted language
Latin America & Caribbean
Contact: Beatriz Riefkohl Muñiz
Haitian Creole, Portuguese (Brazilian), Yucatec Maya, Other Latin American languages
- Non-UNC transcripts must be submitted as official hard copies
- For Yucatec Maya: Applicants for level 3 must submit a 1-page proposal in Maya; Non-UNC transcripts must be submitted as official hard copies
- Funding for academic year undergraduate study of Haitian Creole is not available.
Contact: Shai Tamari
Arabic (Middle East career/research focus), Hebrew (Modern), Persian, Turkish, Urdu (Middle East career/research focus)
- Academic year funding is not available for undergraduate students.